Osmium tetroxide: what is it and why is it dangerous?

Global News

Osmium tetroxide is a rare and expensive toxic chemical used as a staining agent for biological samples examined under electron microscopes.

At room temperature, osmium tetroxide sublimates (turns from a solid to a gas without turning to a liquid) and its fumes can be extremely toxic, which can cause irritation to the eyes. This is typically the first symptom of exposure.

READ MORE: Christopher Phillips had osmium tetroxide, threatened police

As with any toxic chemical substance, direct exposure can cause many adverse health effects. Direct contact on the skin can cause burns, discoloration and blisters. If the eyes are directly exposed, it can damage the cornea and may even turn them black, resulting in blindness.

Inhalation of the osmium tetroxide can cause coughing, shortness of breath, headaches and pulmonary edema, where fluid builds up in the lungs. At high concentrations, this can result in death.

Osmium tetroxide is typically colourless…

View original post 73 more words

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s