Fire Safety Experts Warn That Bad Habits At Home Could End In Tragedy

Featured Image

Beware of overloaded powerstrips

CBS New York

NEW YORK(CBSNewYork) — The FDNY says the fire that took the life of a 15-year-old girl in Hamilton Heights on Monday was caused by a common household mistake, an overloaded power strip.

It was the same thing that caused a January high-rise fire that took the life of a 27-year-old man.

“You build up too much resistance. There’s too much electricity going through too small a wire. It may not trip a circuit breaker, but this will start to overheat and melt,” Captain Kevin Anderson told CBS 2’s Hazel Sanchez.

As Captain Anderson explained there are many other overlooked fire hazards that could be heating up in your home, including overloading a wall outlet with a power strip or adapter that is connected to another.

It’s a common problem in older homes to have limited electrical outlets. That’s why many people make this dangerous mistake, plugging in heavy appliances, like…

View original post 117 more words

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s